Chiang Mai on high alert
published : 14 Apr 2021 at 08:52
writer: Gary Boyle
Authorities in Chiang Mai admit they are greatly concerned following a spike in Covid-19 infections that are now passing 200 every day.
Dr Chatuchai Maneerat, Chiang Mai's public health chief, said if the daily cases in the northern province continue to exceed 200 infections, hospitals would not be able to handle them.
More than 600 people have tested positive for the virus since the outbreak started early this month and about 200 have been admitted for medical care, he said.
"Currently we have 1,000 beds in the province's field hospital and that may not be sufficient," he added. "So the province's communicable disease control panel has decided to add another 1,000 beds."
The number of people seeking Covid-19 tests remains high after timelines of confirmed cases showed the patients using public transport and visiting various venues.
Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the DDC, said no nationwide lockdown was being considered and he urged the public, especially students, to avoid social gatherings at least until the end of this month.
A general work-from-home policy is expected to lower the infection rate to 400 per day and a "targeted lockdown" can push the number lower to 100 cases per day, he said.
Learn from listening
- additional: more; more than was first mentioned or is usual - ที่เพิ่มขึ้น
- alert: prepared to deal with something dangerous - ตื่นตัว ระวัง
- avoid: to stay away from a place; to try to prevent something from happening - หลีกเลี่ยง
- care: medical care; medical treatment; the process of providing medical care - การรักษา
- case: a particular situation or a situation of a particular type - กรณี, เหตุการณ์, สถานการณ์
- epidemic: a large number of cases of a particular disease happening at the same time in a particular community - โรคระบาด
- exceed: to be more than something; to go beyond a limit - เกินกว่าที่กำหนด
- field hospital (noun): a temporary hospital, e.g. near a battlefield, a natural disaster, etc. -
- lockdown (noun): an official order to control the movement of people or vehicles because of a dangerous situation -
- sufficient: enough - เพียงพอ
- target: to try to get a particular number or amount - ตั้งเป้าหมาย
- timeline: a plan of when something should happen or how much time something should take -