1,543 new Covid-19 cases Thursday
The Covid-19 caseload nationwide continued to set a record for the second consecutive day on Thursday, with 1,543 cases — 1,540 local infections and three imported cases, raising the total to 37,453.
"The number of new cases is increasing. Most are family members and those in contact with previous cases linked to crowded places in many areas, including entertainment places, parties, seminars and students' camps," Dr Chawetsan Namwat, from the Department of Disease Control, said.
"To reduce risks, people should work from home after the Songkran festival."
Daily new cases were reported in 62 provinces. Of them, 1,161 were confirmed at hospitals and 379 detected in communities.
"At-risk people are in the working age group and the spread of the disease is fast," he said.
Bangkok logged 409 new cases including 175 linked to entertainment places, parties, concerts and restaurants.
Chiang Mai had 278 new cases, Chon Buri and Prachuap Khiri Khan 98 cases each and Samut Prakan 24 new cases.
- community: the people living in one particular area - ชุมชน
- confirm (verb): to state or show that something is definitely true or correct, especially by providing evidence - ยืนยัน
- contact (noun): a situation in which people or things touch each other or come very close to each other - การสัมผัส
- detected: noticed, discovered or found out - จับได้ พบได้
- log: to put information in an official record or write a record of events - ลงบันทึก
- risk: the possibility that something dangerous or unpleasant might happen - ความเสี่ยง
- spread: gradually affecting or covering a larger area - การแพร่กระจาย