No curfew, gatherings banned for 2 weeks
The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration on Friday decided not to impose a curfew but banned gatherings and risky activities for two weeks from Sunday.
CCSA spokesman Taweesilp Visanuyothin said that the centre dismissed the idea of a curfew because it would affect people's incomes.
Instead, it decided to close schools and educational institutions, except international schools which had to organise exams, he said.
Also banned are any activities where more than 50 people gather.
Entertainment places including pubs, bars, karaoke shops and massage parlours are closed.
The CCSA declared 18 provinces red or maximum Covid-19 control zones. They are Bangkok, Khon Kaen, Chon Buri, Chiang Mai, Tak, Nakhon Pathom, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phuket, Rayong, Songkhla, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Sa Kaeo, Suphan Buri and Udon Thani.
In these provinces, dining at restaurants is allowed until 9pm and sales of takeaways at 11pm. Drinking alcohol is banned at restaurants.
Shopping centres, department stores and community malls will close at 9pm and the number of their visitors must be limited.
Convenience stores and supermarkets will close from 11pm to 4am.
Sports fields, exercise venues, gyms and fitness clubs must close at 9pm.
The remaining 59 provinces have been designated orange or control zones where restaurants can open for dining and sales until 11pm. Drinking alcohol is also banned.
Department stores, shopping centres and community malls will close at 9pm and the number of their visitors must be limited.
In the orange zones, there were no restrictions at convenience stores, supermarkets and venues for sports and exercises.
Learn from listening
- banned: officially not allowed to do something - ถูกห้าม
- curfew: a law that does not allow people to go outside between a particular time in the evening and a particular time in the morning - กฎอัยการศึก คือห้ามออกนอกบ้านในยามวิกาล
- designated: given; chosen for something - ที่ได้รับการแต่งตั้ง
- dismissed: considered something to be unimportant or not good enough to be taken seriously - แย้งกลับ โต้กลับ
- institutions: large and important organizations, such as universities or banks - สถาบัน
- limited: stopped from increasing beyond a particular amount or level - ถูกจำกัด
- maximum: the most possible - ที่สูงสุด ที่มากที่สุด
- restriction: a rule, action or situation that limits or controls someone or something - การจำกัด, การควบคุม