Hospital shuts wards after barman dies from Covid
Prakhon Chai Hospital in Buri Ram on Sunday suspended non-urgent treatment for two days after a patient died and was found to be infected with Covid-19.
The hospital said on Facebook that it would be disinfecting several wards and testing all medical staff who had come into contact with the 56-year-old man, who died early on Sunday.
The man, who worked at a bar in Sukhumvit Soi 4, Klong Toey district, returned home with his wife on April 7, developed a fever and reported to public health officials.
He stayed at home for the next few days but started coughing badly on April 13.
He felt exhausted on April 17 and went for treatment at a local clinic but his condition worsened that night and his wife called for medical assistance.
As he was being taken to Prakhon Chai Hospital, he stopped breathing and was given CPR from 10.57pm to 12.30am in the emergency department while a rapid Covid-19 test showed a positive result. The man then died.
A disease control investigator was sent to the patient's community yesterday and a hospital staff member used Facebook to ask the public not to withhold information and put others at risk.
Learn from listening
- community: the people living in one particular area - ชุมชน
- contact (noun): a situation in which people or things touch each other or come very close to each other - การสัมผัส
- coughing: the action of forcing air up through your throat with a sudden noise, especially when you have a cold - ไอ
- CPR (noun): 'cardiopulmonary resuscitation’ (breathing air into the mouth of an unconscious person and pressing on their chest to keep them alive by sending air around their body) - การปั๊มหัวใจ
- disinfect: to make something clean by treating it with a substance that kills disease causing organisms - ฆ่าเชื้อโรค, ทำให้ปลอดเชื้อ
- exhausted: extremely tired - เหน็ดเหนื่อย
- fever: an abnormally high body temperature - ไข้
- investigator: someone whose job is to officially find out the facts about something, especially a crime or accident - ตำรวจฝ่ายสอบสวนคดีอาชญากรรม
- ward: a separate room or area in a hospital for people with the same type of medical condition - แผนกในโรงพยาบาลที่มีคนไข้ประเภทเดียวกัน
- withhold: to deliberately not give something to someone - ระงับ, ถอนกลับ