Covid restrictions increase
The government's Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration on Thursday intensified its Covid-19 controls.
The CCSA extended the quarantine period for arrivals, expanded "dark red" control zones and required the nationwide wearing of face masks outside homes.
May 1 would see the end of the shortened quarantine periods of 7-10 days earlier announced for arrivals vaccinated against Covid-19, and the return of 14-day quarantine for all arrivals.
Also from May 1, six provinces will become dark red zones of maximum and strict Covid-19 control. They are Bangkok, Chon Buri, Chiang Mai, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Samut Prakan.
The number of red zones of maximum control will rise from 18 to 45 provinces, while orange control zones will drop from 59 to 26 provinces. There are no zones with lower controls.
Twenty-six provinces declared orange zones are Krabi, Kalasin, Chai Nat, Chumphon, Trat, Nakhon Nayok, Nakhon Phanom, Nong Khai, Bung Kan, Buri Ram, Phangnga, Phayao, Phrae, Mukdahan, Mae Hong Son, Yasothon, Loei, Sakon Nakhon, Satun, Samut Songkhram, Sing Buri, Surin, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Uttaradit, Uthai Thani and Amnat Charoen.
In all zones, people will be required to wear face masks when going out.
Nationwide, entertainment places and schools will be closed. Malls can open until 9pm.
In dark-red provinces, people must not leave their zones unless it is necessary and restaurants can open for takeouts only until 9pm.
Dining-in is allowed until 9pm in red zones and 11pm in orange zones, with no sale or drinking of alcohol. In red zones, restaurants can take orders for takeouts until 11pm.
Convenience stores can open between 4am and 11pm in dark red and red zones. The restriction will not apply in orange zones.
Learn from listening
- convenience store: a shop/store that sells food, newspapers, etc. and often stays open 24 hours a day - ร้านสะดวกซื้อ
- expand: to make or become larger - ขยาย
- extend: to add more time - ยืดออกไป
- nationwide: throughout a whole country - ทั่วทั้งประเทศ
- necessary (adj.): essential, needful, something that you must do or have - จำเป็น, ซึ่งเลี่ยงไม่ได้, ซึ่งเป็นที่ต้องการ, สำคัญ
- restriction: a rule, action or situation that limits or controls someone or something - การจำกัด, การควบคุม
- strict: demanding that rules are obeyed; very careful and exact - เข้มงวด
- takeout: food that you buy and take out of the shop to eat at home -
- vaccinate: to give someone a vaccine, usually by injection (putting a liquid, especially a drug, into a person's body using a needle and a syringe), to prevent them from getting a disease - ฉีดวัคซีน