Chiang Mai sandbox on course for October
The Chiang Mai sandbox model will go ahead as planned on Oct 1 and target tourists from Asia.
Punlop Saejew of the Tourism Council of Chiang Mai said the sandbox will take place in Mae Rim and Mae Taeng districts.
To start the plan, the two districts will need around 400,000 vaccine doses for local residents.
However, vaccines for these residents have not been confirmed as the limited quantity of doses available must be distributed to other higher risk areas around the country first.
Mr Punlop said the government has to be more open towards the private sector who want to buy alternative vaccines.
Under the Chiang Mai sandbox -- quarantine-free entry for inoculated tourists -- international visitors must travel with tour guides to designated routes.
Asian nations including China, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia are potential markets.
Learn from listening
- alternative: another choice - ทางเลือก, ตัวเลือก
- designated: formally chosen - แต่งตั้ง
- dose: an amount of drug that has been measured so that you can take it - ปริมาณยาที่ให้ต่อครั้ง
- inoculate: to treat a person or animal with a vaccine to produce immunity against a disease -
- limited: not much or enough; not very great in amount or extent - จำกัด
- potential: possible - ความเป็นไปได้
- private sector: businesses and industries that are not owned or controlled by the government - ภาคเอกชน
- risk: the possibility that something dangerous or unpleasant might happen - ความเสี่ยง
- sandbox (noun): an isolated environment or situation. -
- vaccine: a substance which contains a form that is not harmful of a virus and which is given to a person or animal to prevent them from getting the disease which the virus causes - วัคซีน