Chiang Mai wants return of dine-in service
published : 7 May 2021 at 09:03
writer: Gary Boyle
Chiang Mai's governor has asked the authorities to allow restaurants to provide dine-in services until 9pm following an easing of the Covid-19 crisis.
Chiang Mai is among six provinces declared maximum and strict control areas, colour-coded as dark red, by the CCSA.
Restaurants in those provinces -- Bangkok, Chon Buri, Chiang Mai, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Samut Prakan -- are prohibited from offering dine-in services and can only stay open for takeaway orders until 9pm.
The governor's move follows last week's call by the Chiang Mai Restaurant and Entertainment Venue Association for the dine-in ban to be scrapped because it would harm more than 14,000 restaurants and 80,000 employees.
When the third wave of the pandemic hit early last month, Chiang Mai saw three-digit infections every day but they have since fallen to double digits. On Wednesday, the province logged just 23 new cases, raising the total to 3,789.
Learn from listening
- call (noun): a request, an order or a demand for somebody to do something or to go somewhere - ข้อเรียกร้อง
- digit: any one of the ten numbers 0 to 9 - ตัวเลข (0 ถึง 9)
- dine (verb): to eat, esp. dinner - รับประทาน, ทาน, กิน
- harm: damage - ความเสียหาย
- prohibited (adj): not allowed; to banned - ถูกห้าม
- strict: demanding that rules are obeyed; very careful and exact - เข้มงวด