Indian Covid variant confirmed in Thailand
The Indian variant of Covid-19 has arrived in Thailand.
The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said on Monday the woman and her three sons, aged four, six and eight, arrived in Thailand from Pakistan via Dubai on April 24.
All were in quarantine after the arrival and the first tests found the mother and her youngest son were positive, while the other children were not infected.
A test at Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital confirmed the virus was the variant from India, named B.1.617.1.
Authorities were worried by the arrival of this version of the virus and the new danger it poses.
Thailand has barred foreign arrivals from India since the beginning of this month.
- ban: officially not allowed to do something - การห้ามอย่างเป็นทางการ
- besides (prep): in addition to somebody/something; apart from somebody/something - นอกจากนี้
- pose: cause something, especially a problem or difficulty - เป็นเหตุให้
- positive (adj): showing clear evidence that a particular substance or medical condition is present มีประจุบวก (การทดสอบ) - มีประจุบวก (การทดสอบ)
- prompt: to cause someone to take action - กระตุ้น
- variant: a thing that is a slightly different form or type of something else - สิ่งที่ผันแปร, สิ่งที่แตกต่างกัน
- widen: to become wider; to make something wider - ทำให้กว้าง, ทำให้ขยายออก, ทำให้ขยายกว้าง