City jab drive
published : 12 May 2021 at 08:27
A mass inoculation push over two months will target five million Bangkok residents.
Health authorities are aiming to get around 70% of the capital's residents, or about 5 million people, vaccinated against Covid-19 in two months, according to a top Public Health Ministry official.
So far nationally, more than 1.6 million people aged 60 and above and those with seven types of underlying health conditions have signed up for vaccines. Of this number, more than 500,000 were in Bangkok and over 200,000 others were in the northern province of Lampang.
Sopon Mekthon, assistant to the public health minister in his capacity as chairman of the government's sub-committee on Covid-19 vaccination management, said the ministry will use both Sinovac and AstraZeneca vaccines during the mass inoculation campaign in Bangkok.
The ministry plans to use parts of Bang Sue Railway Central Station as a vaccination hub and to administer 100,000 doses per day in Bangkok.
Dr Sopon went on to say he was also confident that from next month, each month there will be another 10 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines available.
"So, we want every province to keep accelerating their vaccination programme," he said.
Sopon Iamsirithaworn, deputy director-general of the Disease Control Department, said the residents targeted included migrants and residents who aren't registered in the capital.
As of now, only 5% of the capital's residents have been vaccinated, he said.
Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said the government now aims to get 70% of the entire population, or about 50 million people, vaccinated against Covid-19 by December.
- accelerate: to happen or make something happen at a faster rate - เร่ง, เร่งความเร็ว, เพิ่มความเร็ว
- authority (noun): a person or government agency who has the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- campaign: a planned series of activities - การรณรงค์
- capacity: a particular position or job - ฐานะ
- circumstance (noun): a fact or condition that affects a situation - เหตุการณ์แวดล้อม
- eligible: allowed by rules or laws to do something or to receive something - มีสิทธิชอบธรรมตามกฎหมาย เอื้อด้วยกฎหมาย
- existing (adj): present now; in use now; used now - ที่มีอยู่
- mass: large amounts or numbers - ปริมาณมาก จำนวนมาก
- push: an effort; a big attempt to do something, using a lot of energy and resources - ความพยายาม
- target: something you want to achieve; a particular number or amount that you want to achieve - เป้าหมาย