Villages sealed off to control Covid variant
Nine villages in Tak Bai district, where the first cases of the South African variant of Covid-19 were detected on Saturday, remained closed.
Nine southern villages were under lockdown after health authorities found the South African variant in three people, who recovered from the infections.
The South African variant is more contagious and could be more resistant to vaccines, it was reported on Saturday.
The strain was imported into Thailand by a Malaysian woman who illegally crossed the border to Thailand with her son and mother-in-law to visit her husband in Tak Bai from April 12-May 4.
Aside from the 32-year-old husband, details remained sketchy about the other three people infected with the B.1.351 strain. The man's wife had already returned to Malaysia.
The first person found infected with the South African variant was a Thai national who returned from Tanzania in February. The cases in Tak Bai were believed to be first local transmission of the strain.
Learn from listening
- contagious: of a disease that can be caught by touching someone with the disease or a piece of infected clothing - ซึ่งแพร่กระจายได้ง่าย
- lockdown (noun): an official order to control the movement of people or vehicles because of a dangerous situation -
- national: a citizen of a particular country - ประชาชน
- resistant (adj): not harmed or affected by something - ต้าน,ต่อต้าน, ต้านทาน
- sketchy: not complete or detailed and therefore not very useful - คร่าวๆ, ไม่สมบูรณ์,ไม่ครบ
- strain: a particular type of virus, animal, insect, or plant - สายพันธุ์
- transmission: the spread of a disease from one person or animal to another - การแพร่เชื้อ
- variant: a thing that is a slightly different form or type of something else - สิ่งที่ผันแปร, สิ่งที่แตกต่างกัน