Ministry defends ThaiBev jabs
The Interior Ministry is insisting that approval to provide free Covid-19 vaccine doses to over 70,000 Thai Beverage Public Company Limited (ThaiBev) employees and their families is lawful.
Chatchai Promlert, permanent secretary for the ministry, was asked whether such approval was considered appropriate because many people across the country have yet to receive their jabs.
He was criticised after a letter addressed to governors and signed by him on June 17, went viral on the internet.
The letter details a request for support on the matter.
The company, which makes Chang Beer and other products, has requested the vaccination of 43,201 employees and 28,244 families in Bangkok and 76 provinces.
Mr Chatchai said he approved the allocation of free Covid-19 vaccine doses to ThaiBev under the guidelines of the National Communicable Diseases Committee.
"It is to [prevent] the emergence of new clusters and a spread [of Covid-19]. Please be confident in the vaccine distribution [initiative] of the National Vaccine Committee and the CCSA (Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration)," Mr Chatchai said.
Two members of the Pheu Thai Party said they disagreed with a large alcoholic beverage company being granted a request for vaccine support while people in the rest of the country are still not jabbed.
Learn from listening
- allocation: an amount or share of something that is given to someone - การแบ่งส่วน
- appropriate: suitable or right for a particular situation or purpose - ที่เหมาะสม
- beverage: a drink of any type - เครื่องดื่ม
- cluster: group of people, animals or things close together - กลุ่ม
- criticised: receiving words of disapproval over something that you have supposedly done wrong - ถูกวิจารณ์, โดนว่า
- emergence: the process of appearing - การปรากฎออกมา
- guidelines: official instructions or advice about how to do something - สิ่งที่ช่วยแนะแนวทางให้ปฏิบัติ
- matter: a situation or subject which is being dealt with or considered - เรื่อง, ภารกิจ, งาน
- viral: (of a video, photo, story, etc.) spread across the internet very quickly (like a virus spreading a disease) as people share it with their friends or the news media reports on it - แพร่กระจายผ่านทางอินเทอร์เน็ตอย่างรวดเร็ว