'Nobody' suitable to be PM: poll
"Nobody" is by far the most suitable choice to lead the country, according to a poll of the most popular candidates for prime minister.
Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan came third, although Pheu Thai was the most popular party, followed by Move Forward and Palang Pracharath.
The poll was conducted by telephone interviews between June 11-16 on 2,515 people aged 18 and over of all levels of education and occupations throughout the country.
Asked whom would they support to be prime minister in today's political situation, the answers were as follows:
- 37.65% said nobody was suitable for the post;
- 19.32% were for Prayut, saying they wanted him to serve out his current term;
- 13.34% for Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan;
- 8.71% for Pol Gen Sereepisuth Temiyaves, leader of the Seri Ruam Thai Party;
- 5.45% for Pita Limjaroenrat, leader of the Move Forward Party;
- 3.26% for Korn Chatikavanich, leader of the Kla Party;
- 2.35% for Anutin Charnvirakul, leader of the Bhumjaithai Party;
- 1.47% for Jurin Laksanavisit, leader of the Democrat Party; and
- 3.53% combined for other candidates.
The rest, 2.15%, had no answer or were not interested.
Asked to name the political party they support most right now, the answers were:
- 32.68% none;
- 19.48% the Pheu Thai Party;
- 14.51% the Move Forward Party;
- 10.70% the Palang Pracharath Party;
- 9.54% the Democrat Party;
- 2.90% the Seri Ruam Thai Party;
- 2.43% the Bhumjaithai Party;
- 1.71% the Kla Party; and
- 3.58% combined for many numerous smaller parties.
- candidate: a person who is trying to be elected - ผู้สมัครรับเลือกตั้ง
- distant: far away in space or time - ห่างไกล
- numerous: many - มากมาย
- occupation: a job - อาชีพ
- poll: an occasion when a lot of people are asked about what they feel about something - การสำรวจความคิดเห็น
- quarterly: happening every three months or "quarter" -
- suitable: acceptable or right for someone or something - เหมาะสม
- term: a period of time a politician, government or other official holds their job - ช่วงเวลาการดำรงตำแหน่งหรืออำนาจ