Accused hospital gunman surrenders
A former soldier wanted for shooting dead a patient at a Covid-19 field hospital and a convenience store employee early on Thursday morning surrendered to police shortly after noon.
Kawin Saengnilkul, a 23-year-old from Pathum Thani's Thanyaburi district, surrendered to police in Ranong province at 12.20pm and handed over two guns, police said.
Daily News reported that police went to the house of the gunman's relative in Ranong, where the suspect had holed up.
The Criminal Court approved a warrant for his arrest on initial charges of premeditated murder and carrying firearms in public for unsound reasons.
He is accused of breaking into the Princess Mother National Institute for Drug Abuse Treatment in Pathum Thani and killing a 54-year-old patient about 3.30am. The institute is a field hospital for Covid-19 patients.
Pathum Thani police also alleged that before the attack at the field hospital, the gunman had shot dead an employee at a convenience store in the Phahon Yothin area of Bangkok about 2am.
- convenience store: a shop/store that sells food, newspapers, etc. and often stays open 24 hours a day - ร้านสะดวกซื้อ
- hole up: to hide in a place - ซ่อนตัว
- premeditated: planned in advance - คาดคิดมาก่อน
- relative: a member of your family - ญาติพี่น้อง
- surrender: to give yourself up - ยอมจำนน
- suspect: a person who is thought to have committed a crime - ผู้ต้องสงสัย
- unsound: not safe - ไม่มั่นคง, ไม่เป็นที่ยอมรับ
- warrant (noun): a legal document that is signed by a judge and gives the police authority to do something - หมาย