Dept reports 103 post-jab deaths
The Disease Control Department (DCD) yesterday reported that 1,945 people fell ill and 103 others died after receiving various Covid-19 vaccines.
A probe has been completed into 42 of the deaths, and no link was made back to vaccines.
Chawetsan Namwat of the DCD said that 7.9 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines had been administered, and as of Monday, 1,945 people, or 24.6 cases per 100,000 doses, fell ill from unexpected symptoms such as severe allergies, while 103 others, or 1.3 cases per 100,000 doses, died.
He said an investigation into the 103 deaths was launched, adding that in the 42 cases examined so far, specialists found the deaths were not related to the vaccines. The causes were coincidental, including 10 from heart disease and the rest from other causes.
He said 945 cases of serious side effects were reported, of which 327 have been examined by the specialists, while 618 remain under investigation. A total of 914 people, or about 27.09 cases per 100,000 doses, suffered side effects after receiving their first dose of the Sinovac vaccine, while 44 people, or about 1.3 cases per 100,000 doses, died, Dr Chawetsan said.
Two-hundred and forty-three people were hospitalised and seven died after receiving their second shot of the Sinovac vaccine, he said.
As for the AstraZeneca vaccine, Dr Chawetsan said 782 people, or 33.93 cases per 100,000 doses, fell ill while 49, or 2.13 cases per 100,000 doses, died after receiving their first shot.
Six people, or 11.78 cases per 100,000 doses, fell ill and one person, or 1.96 cases per 100,000 doses, died after receiving their second shot, Dr Chawetsan said.
- administer (verb): to give drugs, medicine, etc. to somebody - ให้ (ยา), จ่ายยา
- allergy: a medical condition in which you become sick or your skin becomes covered with red marks as a reaction to something you eat, breathe or touch - อาการแพ้ ภูมิแพ้
- coincidental (adj): a situation in which separate things happen by chance at the same time or in the same way - เหตุบังเอิญ
- dose: an amount of drug that has been measured so that you can take it - ปริมาณยาที่ให้ต่อครั้ง
- probe: an attempt to find out the truth about an issue, problem or accident, made by an official group (or by the media); an investigation - การตรวจสอบ การสอบสวน
- side effects (noun): unpleasant effects of a drug that happen in addition to the main effect - ผลข้างเคียง