PM and CEOs to discuss Covid crisis
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will meet with more than 40 executives of leading corporations today to discuss the Covid-19 situation and its economic impact on the country.
According to Government House's published work schedule for Wednesday, Gen Prayut first will meet in person executives from national oil and gas conglomerate PTT Plc and King Power Group. Both companies have made known an intention to donate money and basic necessities to support the government's fight against Covid-19.
Later, Gen Prayut will hold a video conference with 40 CEOs to discuss efforts at containing Covid-19 and related issues.
Representing three core business groups -- real estate, retail trade and e-commerce -- the operators at that time discussed with Gen Prayut their proposals and ideas regarding the government's efforts to salvage businesses in the aftermath of the previous wave of the outbreak.
After the meeting, the group forwarded their opinions to the government saying a blanket lockdown could do more harm than good, as Thailand appeared unlikely to secure sufficient Covid-19 vaccines for administering during the then expected lockdown.
The group was concerned such an expansive lockdown would fail, reasoning the number of new Covid-19 cases might not decrease as expected.
The group instead proposed a partial lockdown only in areas where the Covid-19 situation was very serious while speeding up inoculating the population.
- aftermath: the effects and results of something bad or important - ผลที่ตามมา
- blanket: affecting or aimed at everyone or everything equally, even when this is not sensible or fair - ครอบคลุม, กว้าง
- brainstorm (v): to produce an idea or way of solving a problem by holding a group discussion -
- conglomerate: a large company formed by joining together different firms - กลุ่มบริษัทในเครือ
- contain: to prevent from spreading; to keep within limits - จำกัด,ควบคุมไว้
- donate: to give something such as money or goods to an organisation, especially to a temple, charity, school, political party, etc. - บริจาค
- expansive: very wide; covering a large subject area - ไพศาล, กว้างขวาง
- imminent: likely or certain to happen very soon - ซึ่งใกล้จะเกิดขึ้น
- lift: to end a warning, a restriction, etc. - ยกเลิก
- necessity (noun): a thing that you must have and cannot manage without, e.g., good, clothing - สิ่งจำเป็น
- operator (noun): a person or company that runs a business - ผู้ดำเนินกิจการทางธุรกิจ, ผู้ประกอบธุรกิจ
- partial: in part, but not complete - บางส่วน