Pfizer jabs 'for workers'
The Public Health Ministry said no less than 500,000 doses of Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine donated by the United States will be given to health workers, insisting no VIPs will be allowed to bypass the system to acquire the jabs.
The ministry on Sunday dismissed rumours which claimed that only 200,000 doses out of the 1.5 million Pfizer jabs donated by the US will be distributed to frontline medical workers.
While most of Thailand's estimated 700,000 frontline health workers have received two Covid-19 jabs by Sinovac, many aren't confident in the vaccine's efficacy against the Delta variant.
A cardiologist with Chiang Mai University's Faculty of Medicine questioned the allocation of the vaccine.
On Facebook, Rungsrit Kanjanavanit claimed to have learned during a meeting that the government is planning to allocate only 200,000 out of the 1.5 million doses donated by the United States for frontline medical staff.
Dr Rungsrit said the government initially promised to give 700,000 doses to healthcare workers; but the quota was later lowered to 500,000, before it was ultimately dropped to 200,000.
"If the 300,000 missing doses [of the Pfizer vaccine] end up being given to VIPs and their relatives, I wouldn't be OK with that," Dr Rungsrit said.
The Public Health Ministry dismissed the claim.
The doses will arrive later this month, and booster shots for medical staff will begin in early August.
Learn from listening
- allocation: an amount or share of something that is given to someone - การแบ่งส่วน
- booster (noun): something that gives extra strength - สิ่งที่เพิ่มกำลังหรือความแข็งแรง
- cardiologist: a doctor who studies the heart and deals with the diseases that affect it - แพทย์ผู้เชี่ยวชาญโรคหัวใจ
- dismiss: to refuse to accept that something might be true or important - ไม่สนใจ,แย้งกลับ
- donate: to give something such as money or goods to an organisation, especially to a temple, charity, school, political party, etc. - บริจาค
- efficacy (noun): the ability of something to produce the results that are wanted ความมี - ประสิทธิภาพ, ความสามารถ, สมรรถภาพ
- fake: made to look like something real to trick people - ปลอม
- frontline: directly involved where fighting takes place - แนวหน้า
- quota: an amount of something that someone is officially allowed to have or do - โควตา
- relative: a member of your family - ญาติพี่น้อง
- rumour: a piece of information, or a story, that people talk about, but that may not be true - ข่าวลือ
- variant: a thing that is a slightly different form or type of something else - สิ่งที่ผันแปร, สิ่งที่แตกต่างกัน