Malls plead to deliver food
A proposal to allow restaurants in department stores and shopping malls to sell food via online delivery platforms will be presented for approval by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).
The government is aware of the plight of eatery and restaurant operators affected by the latest round of restrictions from July 20, a spokeswoman said.
Among them was the closing of restaurants in shopping malls.
Under the plan, staff and employees must follow all hygiene procedures, and commute on special "sealed routes", she said.
Orders will not be available for collection and must be made via online delivery platforms, she said.
Department stores and shopping malls can also arrange pick-up points, which must be well-ventilated.
Previously, a food service consulting company slammed the government's latest restrictions which have hit restaurants in shopping centres particularly hard.
Only supermarkets, pharmacies and vaccination centres in shopping malls have been allowed to remain open, while all other businesses have had to shut. This has resulted in thousands of employees losing their jobs and compensation from the government is not enough, the consultancy said.
Learn from listening
- commute: to regularly travel between work and home - เดินทางระหว่างบ้านและที่ทำงาน
- compensation (noun): money that someone receives because something bad has happened to them - การจ่ายเงินชดเชย
- consulting: giving expert advice about something to other people - ให้คำปรึกษา
- hygiene: the degree to which people keep themselves or their environment clean, especially to prevent disease - สุขลักษณะ
- plead: to ask for something in an emotional way - ขอร้อง, วิงวอน
- plight: an unpleasant condition, especially a serious, sad or difficult one - สภาพเลวร้าย
- proposal: a plan or suggestion for a group to consider - ข้อเสนอ
- restriction: a rule, action or situation that limits or controls someone or something - การจำกัด, การควบคุม
- seal: to prevent people from entering an area or a building - ปิดกั้น
- slammed: strongly criticised - วิพากษ์วิจารณ์อย่างรุนแรง
- spokeswoman/spokesman: a person who speaks on behalf of a group or an organisation - โฆษก
- ventilate: to allow fresh air to enter and move around a room, building, etc. -