Thailand wins another Olympic medal
Boxer Sudaporn Seesondee lost to Ireland's Kellie Harrington 2-3 in their women's 60kg semi-final at the Tokyo Olympics on Thursday, winning a bronze medal.
The two fought a cautious first round, which was won by Harrington. Sudaporn stepped up the tempo in the second round, but lost that too.
The Thai fought with confidence in the final round. hoping to impress the judges, but Harrington edged her 3-2.
The loss ended her olympic campaign and will return to Thailand with a bronze medal.
“She did her best,” the Thailand Boxing Association posted a Facebook message. “Thank you for your efforts and determination to bring happiness to all Thais.”
Sudaporn is the first Thai woman boxer to win an Olympic medal.
Sudaporn, 29, also lost 2-3 to the 31-year-old Dubliner in the 2018 world championship final.
- bronze: a dark reddish-brown metal made by mixing copper and tin - ทองสัมฤทธ์, ทองแดง
- campaign: a planned series of activities - การรณรงค์
- cautious: careful to avoid danger - ระมัดระวังไม่ให้เกิดขึ้น
- confidence: the quality of being certain - ความมั่นใจ
- determination: the quality that makes you continue trying to do something even when this is difficult - ความตั้งใจ, ความมุ่งมั่น, ความตั้งใจมั่น
- edge: to beat someone in a competition by a small amount - ชนะอย่างหวุดหวิด
- judge (noun): a person who helps make the decision about who wins a competition such as a talent show or beauty pageant - ผู้ตัดสิน, กรรมการผู้ตัดสิน
- tempo: the speed at which something happens - จังหวะ