Bangkok reopening likely postponed
Bangkok's reopening for inoculated tourists should be delayed by two weeks to Oct 15, says tourism and sports minister.
The proposed delay takes into account the fact most city residents are still waiting for a second jab.
Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, Thailand’s tourism and sports minister, said the appropriate timeline for Bangkok should be postponed from Oct 1 to Oct 15, as by then the capital is expected to have administered Covid-19 vaccines to 70% of its residents.
At present, only 37% of the population is fully vaccinated, while another 33% are in the 8- to 12-week interval following their first AstraZeneca shot.
The revised plan arose after a discussion between the minister and Bangkok governor Aswin Kwanmuang yesterday regarding the readiness of the city, the country’s gateway for inbound tourism.
Mr Phiphat said that next week the ministry will propose the reopening of five areas, including Bangkok, to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration's subcommittee and also the Centre for Economic Situation Administration.
Procedures for all areas will be the same and should be finalised before the end of this month, with the receiving of tourists to begin by October as planned.
The tourism ministry has hopes of attracting at least 1 million international tourists to Thailand this year.
- administer (verb): to give drugs, medicine, etc. to somebody - ให้ (ยา), จ่ายยา
- finalise: to complete the last part of a plan, trip, project, etc - ทำให้เสร็จสมบูรณ์
- inoculate: to treat a person or animal with a vaccine to produce immunity against a disease -
- interval (noun): a period of time between two events - ช่วงเวลา, ช่วง, ระยะเวลา
- likely: probable or expected - น่าจะเป็นไปได้
- postponed: delayed; decided that something will be done at a later time - เลื่อนออกไป
- procedures (noun): ways of doing something - ขั้นตอนการดำเนินการ
- proposed: suggested as an idea for a group to consider - ถูกเสนอ
- readiness: a state of being ready and able to deal with what might or will happen - ความพร้อม
- relaxation: making rules, controls, conditions etc less strict -
- revise: to change, improve, or make additions to something - แก้ไข
- spur: to cause something to happen - ก่อให้เกิด
- stimulus: a set of programmes, especially government spending programmes, designed to start an economy growing again - แผนกระตุ้นหรือฟื้นฟูเศรษฐกิจ
- timeline: a plan of when something should happen or how much time something should take -