Drug couriers caught with meth
Two men have been arrested in Surat Thani while transporting methamphetamine.
The two were en route from a central province to the far south of Thailand when they were caught with nearly 1.4 million methamphetamine pills and a kilogramme of crystal meth (methamphetamine in crystalline form).
Rukman Wa-ngor, 24 and Jaemuhamaruchee Binjo-arong, 36, both from Narathiwat, were arrested after the drugs were found hidden in their pickup truck on Wednesday, police told reporters on Thursday,
Police stopped their Toyota Vigo with Rayong licence plates at a road checkpoint in tambon Nong Sai of Phun Phin district. According to Pol Lt Col Yothin Sitthiyothee, deputy Phun Phin police chief, officers were acting on information provided by an informant.
The driver, Mr Rukman, and passenger Jaemuhamaruchee appeared nervous. Police found a plastic tube and a lighter, and the two admitted having ingested methamphetamine. Police then searched the vehicle.
In the back they found two plastic sheets covering several boxes of snack bags, but the vehicle appeared more heavily loaded. A deeper search found drugs hidden under the snack bags.
During questioning, the suspects allegedly admitted they were hired to smuggle the drugs from Muang district in Ratchaburi to Narathiwat province. They said it was their eighth trip and that they were paid 200,000 baht each time.
An investigation is continuing.
- allegedly: claimed to have done something wrong, but not yet proven - ที่กล่าวหา
- checkpoint: a place where people have to stop so their vehicles and documents can be checked - ด่านตรวจ
- courier: a person or company whose job is to take packages, important papers or, in this case, illegal drugs, somewhere - ผู้ส่งสาร
- crystal methamphetamine (noun): a white crystalline form of the drug methamphetamine that people take by inhaling through the nose, smoking it or injecting it with a needle -
- en route: on the way; while travelling from/to a particular place - ระหว่างทางไปถึงจุดหมายปลายทาง
- illicit: against the law - ผิดกฎหมาย
- informant: someone who secretly gives information about someone to the police or someone in authority - ผู้ให้ข้อมูล, ผู้บอก, ผู้แจ้ง
- ingest: to take food, drugs, etc. into your body, usually by swallowing - การกิน, การกลืนกิน
- intent (noun): your plan or purpose - จุดประสงค์, เจตนา
- methamphetamine: a stimulant drug that increases alertness and energy, but which is dangerous when taken in large amounts or over a long period of time - ยาบ้า
- smuggle: to take drugs, money, people, etc. to or from a place secretly and often illegally - ลักลอบนำเข้า