Flooded underpass sucks woman to death
A motorcyclist drowned, torn from the hands of her rescuers by the strong current, at a flooded railway underpass in Nakhon Ratchasima on Thursday evening.
She was trapped by floodwater at the railway underpass about 5pm. She was identified later as Sumitra Siriwirote, a 30-year-old from Non Thai district.
The woman was riding a motorcycle through floodwater behind a pickup truck driven by her boyfriend.
The stong current washed her into the underpass, where the water was about three metres deep. Her boyfriend jumped from the pickup into the water to rescue her.
- current: a strong movement of water in one direction - กระแสน้ำ
- grip (noun): an act of holding somebody/something tightly; a particular way of doing this - การยึดเกาะ, การฉวย, การจับ, การกำ
- rescue: to save a person or animal from a dangerous or unpleasant situation - ช่วยชีวิต
- rescuer: a person who saves someone from a dangerous or unpleasant situation - ผู้ช่วยชีวิต
- tore (verb): past tense of "tear", ) to pull something so that it separates into pieces or gets a hole in it, or to become damaged in this way - ฉีก
- underpass: a road or path that goes under something such as a busy road, allowing vehicles or people to go from one side to the other - ทางใต้ดิน