PM presses Asean to reopen
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has urged other Asean members to do as Thailand and start reopening to revive economies in the region.
Gen Prayut told Asean leaders that the Covid-19 crisis has underlined the region's vulnerability to emerging threats.
"Asean should start reopening and allowing for safe travel to revive its economies," he said, adding that the Asean Travel Corridor Arrangement Framework should be put into practice, with mutual recognition of vaccines and vaccine certificates to facilitate business travel, and later tourism.
"In this context, Thailand has already opened up pilot areas under the Phuket Sandbox programme to welcome foreign tourists and will gradually open up more areas," he said.
The Thai prime minister also mentioned progress made in using the Covid-19 Asean Response Fund to procure vaccines, and hoped member states would receive these soon.
- address: to deal with a problem - จัดการปัญหา
- bloc: a group of people, countries, etc. who work closely together - กลุ่ม
- facilitate: to make it possible or easier for something to happen - ทำให้สะดวกขึ้น
- implementation: the process of making something such as a plan, system, idea or law start to work and be used - การบังคับใช้ (กฎหมาย)
- mutual: felt or done in the same way by each of two or more people - ซึ่งกันและกัน, ร่วมกัน, ทั้งสองฝ่าย
- pilot: of a plan, product or system that is used to test how good something is before introducing it - นำร่อง
- procure: to buy supplies or equipment for a government department or company - จัดซื้อวัสดุ เครื่องมือสำหรับบริษัท หรือหน่วยงานของรัฐ
- resilient: able to quickly become strong, healthy or happy again after a problem, disappointment or illness - คืนสู่สภาพเดิม
- revive: to come or bring something back to life, health, existence, or use - ทำให้ฟื้นชีพ
- sandbox (noun): an isolated environment or situation. -
- teleconference: a meeting involving people who are in different places, but who are connected by video and computers -
- underline: to show clearly that something is important or true - เน้น ย้ำความสำคัญ
- urge: to advise someone very strongly about what action or attitude they should take - ผลักดัน, กระตุ้น
- vulnerability: a weakness; a weakness that makes someone/something easy to attack - ความอ่อนแอ, ข้อบกพร่อง