PM: No lockdown, bars probably won't reopen
The government will not impose a lockdown despite concerns about the Omicron variant of Covid-19, but the closure of entertainment venues will likely be extended, the prime minister said on Thursday.
Prayut Chan-o-cha said a nationwide lockdown was unnecessary. The government would continue to test arriving travellers for the new variant.
The government needed to prioritise both public safety and the national economy, the prime minister said.
In the interests of public health, the government might also have to further delay the reopening of pubs, bars and karaoke shops, he said.
"We would like to wait and see for a month. in this matter, we must listen to doctors and health authorities," Prayut said.
"Enclosed venues where crowds gather and drink pose high risks," he added.
He said no Omicron cases had been detected in Thailand to date.
- authority (noun): a person or group with special knowledge or expertise - ผู้เชี่ยวชาญเฉพาะทาง
- delay (verb): to do something later than is planned or expected; to cause something to happen at a later time - เลื่อน, เลื่อนเวลา
- detected: noticed, discovered or found out - จับได้ พบได้
- enclosed: surrounded by something and separated from what is outside - ปิดล้อมอยู่
- lockdown (noun): an official order to control the movement of people or vehicles because of a dangerous situation -
- nationwide: throughout a whole country - ทั่วทั้งประเทศ
- pose: cause something, especially a problem or difficulty - เป็นเหตุให้
- prioritise: to put tasks, problems, etc. in order of importance, so that you can deal with the most important first - จัดลำดับก่อน
- unnecessary (adj): not needed; not necessary - ที่ไม่จำเป็น, ที่เกินจำเป็น
- variant: a thing that is a slightly different form or type of something else - สิ่งที่ผันแปร, สิ่งที่แตกต่างกัน