Five injured in expressway pileup
Five people were injured in a pileup involving four vehicles on the Burapa Withi expressway in Samut Prakan on Monday night.
The accident occurred about 7.30pm on the inbound side of the expressway.
The driver of the pickup that triggered the accident told police he was driving from Rayong to Phetchaburi.
He saw that vehicles in front of him were slowing down and stepped on the brake, but said it was not working. His pickup crashed into the rear of a Toyota Fortuner, causing it to crash into a pickup in front of it that then hit a Honda sedan.
The driver was not hurt but five people, two men and three women, in the other three cars were injured.
Police were examining recordings from surveillance cameras.
Learn from listening
- brake (n): a device for slowing or stopping a moving vehicle, typically by applying pressure to the wheels -
- inbound: travelling towards a particular point, particularly into a city - ขาเข้า (opposite of outbound ขาออก)
- injured (adj): hurt in an accident, natural disaster, attack, etc. - ได้รับบาดเจ็บ
- occurred (verb): happened - เกิดขึ้น
- pileup: when many cars and vehicles hit each other on the road in a big chain reaction, each hitting the back of then next car to come to a stop -
- rear: back - ด้านหลัง
- sedan: a closed car with a front and back seat for passengers - รถยนต์ส่วนบุคคลสี่ประตู
- surveillance camera: a camera kept in a place to record what happens there, especially criminal activity - กล้องวงจรปิดเพื่อรักษาการความปลอดภัย
- trigger: to cause - ก่อให้เกิด กระตุ้น