Night workers ask for govt help
Night workers from across the country gathered at Government House on Wednesday to call upon Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to give them financial help.
The protesters -- called the "high heel mob" -- said workers from nightclubs, bars and other venues have not made money since the Covid-19 pandemic began two years ago.
They said they were not included in any government Covid-19 relief measures, even after they pleaded for help.
Their protest again called for relief measures and for the government to provide monthly aid of 5,000 baht for each worker until their workplaces reopen.
"It has been 426 days since the government ordered the closure of nightspots to cope with the Covid-19 outbreak, causing us to lose our jobs and income," Empower Foundation co-ordinator Thanta Laowilawanyakul said.
"However, there are no government relief measures, as most of the workers are not insured under the social security scheme," Ms Thanta said.
A government spokeswoman said on Tuesday that the cabinet has approved a financial aid programme for night workers with a budget of 607 million baht.
The Social Security Office will be in charge of providing a one-off payment of 5,000 baht per person, for those who are already insured under the Social Security Act.
Learn from listening
- aid: help; assistance - ความช่วยเหลือ
- cabinet: the group of government ministers who make and approve government policy - คณะรัฐมนตรี
- high heel: women's shoes with tall, thin heels - รองเท้าส้นเข็ม
- insured: having insurance - ซึ่งมีประกัน
- one-off: happening only once, i.e., not repeated - ครั้งเดียว โอกาสเดียวเท่านั้น
- plead: to ask for something in an emotional way - ขอร้อง, วิงวอน
- relief: money, food, medicine etc. that is given to help people in places where there has been a natural disaster, war, etc. - เครื่องบรรเทาสาธารณภัย
- sector: a part of a country’s economic or business activity - ภาค (เศรษฐกิจ)
- social security: money that the government pays regularly to people who are poor, unemployed, sick, etc - สวัสดิการสังคม,ระบบการประกันสังคม