City infections spike in pubs, dorms
Bangkok has reported a jump in Covid-19 caseloads, many involving infections in restaurant-cum-pubs and crowded communities, according to the Department of Disease Control (DDC).
On Thursday the capital reported 939 new infections, including 45 imported cases. Of the locally-transmitted cases, 300 contracted the virus in restaurants that also opened as pubs, as well as from crowded communities.
Dr Suthas Chottanapan of the DDC said many infections were also found in student dormitories and police flats.
The spike is caused by people visiting high-risk places where groups of five people or more were infected.
Dr Suthas advised people to avoid poorly-ventilated areas and being stuck in crowded places with others who are unmasked, especially at drinking parties. He also recommended people put off their travel plans at this time.
Although fewer people have died from Covid-19 in recent months, 61% of the fatalities nationwide from the virus were people who were either unvaccinated or had not received double doses.
In Bangkok, a total of 6,905 people have died from Covid-19 since April 2021, which marked the start of the third major outbreak. Of them, 4,266 were either unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated.
City Hall said there have been no major clusters in Bangkok.
The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has prepared at least 10,000 beds for Covid-19 patients in preparation for the fast-spreading Omicron variant.
Covid-19 patients occupy 18% of beds available in the capital. Also, vaccination points are being expanded to 129 locations including department stores to provide more booster shots.
Learn from listening
- capital: the most important town or city of a country, usually where the central government operates from - เมืองหลวง
- cause (verb): to make something happen, especially something bad or unpleasant - ทำให้เกิด, ก่อให้เกิด
- cluster: group of people, animals or things close together - กลุ่ม
- community: a group of people who share the same job, interests, religion, etc - สังคม
- crowded: packed; full of people or things - แน่น
- dormitory: a large building in or near a college or university, where students live - หอพัก
- dose: an amount of drug that has been measured so that you can take it - ปริมาณยาที่ให้ต่อครั้ง
- flat: a set of rooms for living in, including a kitchen, usually on one floor of a building - แฟลต, ห้องชุด
- import: to buy or bring in products from another country - นำเข้า
- occupy: to use a place for period of time - ครอง
- put off: to delay; to put back to a later time; to postpone - เลื่อนออกไป
- spike: a sudden increase - การพุ่งพรวดขึ้น
- ventilate: to allow fresh air to enter and move around a room, building, etc. -