Cop charged with reckless driving, causing doctor's death
A policeman has surrendered to police and admitted to driving a big bike that hit and killed a female doctor in Bangkok on Friday, according to media reports.
The woman was identified as Waraluck Supawatjariyakul, a doctor at Chulalongkorn Eye Centre in Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Medicine.
The fatal accident occurred on Friday at 3.10pm. While Dr Waraluck was using the zebra crossing to walk across Phayathai road in front of Bhumirajanagarindra Kidney Institute Hospital, she was hit by a Ducati Monster big bike.
The doctor was seriously injured and admitted to Rajavithi Hospital, where she was later pronounced dead.
The big bike driver was initially reported to be a policeman who left the scene after the accident.
The accident was reported widely on across media, drawing comments from viewers and readers who called for the policeman to surrender and for eyewitnesses to provide information for police to catch him.
On Sunday, police identified the big bike driver as Pol L/Cpl Norawich Buadok, and said he had surrendered to Phayathai police.
Pol L/Cpl Norawich admitted he was driving fast and that after suddenly switching to the far right lane, he sped over the zebra crossing without noticing that other vehicles had stopped, and hit Dr Waraluck. He was also injured and was admitted to Police General Hospital.
Pol L/Cpl Norawich was initially charged with reckless driving, causing death. He confessed to the charge and was released without bail.
- admitted (verb): (of a hospital) accepted for medical treatment - รับ, ให้เข้า, การรับเข้า, อนุญาตให้เข้า
- admitted (verb): agreed that something is true, especially when you are unhappy, sorry or surprised about it - ยอมรับ
- bail: money that is given to a court when someone is allowed to stay out of prison until their trial. If they do not return for the trial, the court keeps the money - เงินประกัน; การประกันตัว (deny bail (of a court) to refuse to allow someone to go free on bail ไม่ให้ประกันตัว)
- fatal: causing someone to die - ถึงตาย
- injured (adj): hurt in an accident, natural disaster, attack, etc. - ได้รับบาดเจ็บ
- pronounced dead: officially confirmed to have died -
- reckless (adj): doing something dangerous and not worrying about the risks and the possible results - ชะล่าใจ, เสี่ยง, ไม่ยั้งคิด
- scene: site; a place where something happens or happened - สถานที่เกิดเหตุ
- surrender: to give yourself up - ยอมจำนน
- zebra crossing: zebra crossing, pedestrian crossing, crosswalk - ทางม้าลาย, ทางขีดเส้นดำสลับขาว เป็นที่ให้คนเดินข้ามถนน