Ducati cop who killed doctor faces 7 charges
The Metropolitan Police Bureau has laid seven charges against the policeman who hit and killed a woman doctor with his Ducati motorcycle on Friday.
Police said on Monday that Pol L/Cpl Norawich Buadok was charged with reckless driving causing death, using a vehicle without a licence plate, failing to keep his motorcycle in the left lane, failing to give way to someone using a pedestrian crossing, using a vehicle with unpaid tax, using a vehicle that lacked required equipment, and not having third-party vehicle insurance.
They said Pol L/Cpl Norawich's blood alcohol test was negative.
Pol L/Cpl Norawich confessed to the offences. He was temporarily released without bail.
The suspect met and apologised to the family of the victim and said he would enter the monkhood.
Pol L/Cpl Norawich, 21, was riding a Ducati Monster motorcycle that hit and killed Dr Waraluck Supawatjariyakul, an ophthalmologist of the faculty of medicine at Chulalongkorn University, on Phaya Thai Road about 3.10pm on Jan 21. She would have turned 34 on Jan 24.
Learn from listening
- bail: money that is given to a court when someone is allowed to stay out of prison until their trial. If they do not return for the trial, the court keeps the money - เงินประกัน; การประกันตัว
- charge : an official statement accusing someone of committing a crime - ข้อกล่าวหา
- insurance: an arrangement in which you regularly pay an insurance company an amount of money so that they will give you money if something you own is damaged, lost, or stolen, or if you die or are ill or injured - การประกัน
- licence plate: a flat piece of metal or plastic on the front and back of a vehicle that shows its license number - แผ่นป้ายทะเบียนรถยนต์
- monkhood: the fact of being a monk - เพศพระภิกษุ, เพศบรรพชิต, ความเป็นพระ
- offence: a crime or illegal activity for which there is a punishment - การกระทำผิดกฎหมาย
- ophthalmologist: a doctor who is an expert in illnesses of the eyes and who can perform operations on people’s eyes - แพทย์รักษาตา
- pedestrian crossing: zebra crossing, crosswalk - ทางม้าลาย, ทางขีดเส้นดำสลับขาว เป็นที่ให้คนเดินข้ามถนน
- reckless: not thinking about the possible bad effects of your actions - สะเพร่า
- taxes: money that you have to pay to the government so that it can pay for public services - ภาษี