Navy sailor said he had bomb at airport
A navy officer seen on video saying he had a bomb in his bag ahead of boarding a flight at Hat Yai airport will be investigated and disciplined.
A Royal Thai Navy spokesman said the navy would first conduct an investigation and then order disciplinary action.
The spokesman said the man who caused the disturbance at Hat Yai airport was an officer who wanted to board a flight there to Don Mueang airport in Bangkok.
A video of the incident released on Thursday quickly went viral. It showed the man challenging airport staff to check his carry-on bag after it went though x-ray, saying he had a bomb.
This caused a disturbance. The man then claimed he had just intended to check if airport staff would bother to actually check his bag for a bomb.
He told them he was not drunk.
Airport personnel warned him he could not say the word "bomb" at an airport, it was prohibited. He challenged them to change the rules and said he wanted to talk to their supervisor.
The supervisor then showed up and spoke to the officer, who calmed down and tried to apologise. The airport supervisor will take legal action against him.
- apologise: to say you are sorry for doing something wrong or for causing a problem - ขอโทษ
- challenge: to invite someone to compete or fight - ท้า
- disciplinary action: punishment of people who do not obey the rules - การลงโทษเนื่องจากการฝ่าฝืนวินัย หรือระเบียบ
- disturbance: actions/events that upset the normal state that something is in - การรบกวน, การทำให้ไม่สงบ
- incident: something that happens, usually something bad - เหตุการณ์
- legal: relating to the law or lawyers - เกี่ยวกับกฎหมาย
- prohibited (adj): not allowed; to banned - ถูกห้าม