Inquiry into 'coyote' dancing show in Khao Yai park
A video showing "coyote" girls dancing to music inside Khao Yai National Park has gone viral, prompting an inquiry into the event.
The performance was part of an anniversary celebration for the Chao Phor Khao Yai shrine.
The director of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment’s National Park Office said on Friday that he received information on Thursday that a show featuring coyote dancers had been held inside the park.
He ordered officials to investigate and it was confirmed the show took place there.
An investigation would be launched.
Khao Yai National Park's chief would be transferred to allow for an inquiry, the director said.
The park hired a show agent for 50,000 baht who arranged music and coyote dancing, along with a Chinese-style buffet worth 20,000 baht with senior national park officials sharing the cost.
Those attending were told not to post photos of these activities on social media.
However, a video clip and photos of the dancing were posted on Facebook. Netizens' comments were very critical of the show and the organisers.
- agent (noun): a person or company that buys or sells something for someone else - ตัวแทน
- celebration: a party or special event at which you celebrate something such as a birthday, a festival or a religious holiday - การฉลอง
- coyote: a N American wild animal of the dog family, but here in Thailand "coyote" is used to describe certain dancing girls - สุนัขป่าชนิดหนึ่งอาศัยอยู่ทางตอนเหนือของทวีปอเมริกา
- critical (adj): saying that someone or something is bad or wrong - จับผิด
- inquiry: an official examination of a problem, crime, accident, etc. in order to get information or the truth - การไต่สวนหาข้อเท็จจริง การไต่สวน
- investigate: to try to find out the facts about something in order to learn the truth about it - ตรวจสอบหาความจริง
- investigation: the process of trying to find out all the details or facts about something in order to discover who or what caused it or how it happened - การสอบสวน, การตรวจสอบหาข้อเท็จจริง
- netizens (noun): people who use the Internet a lot - พลเมืองเครือข่ายคอมพิวเตอร์
- officials: people who have the power to make decisions or enforce the law - เจ้าหน้าที่ผู้มีอำนาจ
- shrine: a place for worship which is holy because of a connection with a holy person or object - สถานที่บูชา
- transferred: changed someone’s job or responsibilities - โยกย้ายตำแหน่ง