Rescue worker shot dead as rival foundations clash
A rescue worker was shot dead and two others wounded when members of two rescue foundations clashed early on Monday morning.
The shooting occurred in front of a Lotus store in Klong Toey district at about 1am. Scores of rescue workers briefly closed off the road hoping to catch the gunman.
The dead man was identified as Chunchana Choteprom, 25, of the Poh Teck Tung Foundation.
Sombun Kwan-uam, a rescue leader of Poh Teck Tung, said the foundation had received repeated fake accident reports on Sunday afternoon. When they responded they found only members of a rival rescue group at the same spot. The two groups argued.
Mr Sombun blamed the incident on about 70 rescue workers who had been sacked from the foundation.
He said they later joined the Siam Ruam Chai Foundation and were deployed in the same area as Poh Teck Tung rescue workers in Klong Toey and Thong Lor.
A rescue supervisor at Poh Teck Tung said the foundation apologised for closing the road, but its workers wanted to force the surrender of the gunman.
He said his colleagues hit a vehicle of the Siam Ruam Chai Foundation because they were attacked first.
Police are investigating the incident.
Learn from listening
- argue: to speak angrily to somebody because you disagree with them; to give reasons why you think that something is right/wrong, true/not true, etc, especially to persuade people that you are right - โต้เถียง, โต้แย้ง, เถียง, อ้างเหตุผล
- blame: to say or think that someone or something did something wrong or is responsible for something bad happening - ตำหนิ
- clash: to argue very angrily with someone - ขัดแย้ง
- deploy: (of police, soldiers, government officials or equipment) to put in place ready for action - ส่ง ประจำการ.
- fake: made to look like something real in order to trick people - ที่ทำปลอม
- foundation: an organisation that provides money for things such as medical research or for a charity - มูลนิธิ
- rescue worker: a person who save someone from a dangerous or unpleasant situation - ผู้ช่วยชีวิต
- rival: a person, team or business that competes with another - คู่แข่ง
- sack: to remove someone from a job; to fire - ปลดออกจากตำแหน่ง
- scores: large numbers of - จำนวนมาก
- surrender: giving yourself up - การยอมจำนน