Measures sought for nightspots
The public health committee has asked the Department of Disease Control (DDC) to seek effective Covid-19 measures if nightclubs, bars and other night entertainment venues are allowed to reopen.
Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul on Wednesday said the country has logged lower numbers of infections and deaths daily, a sign of the transition to an endemic phase.
"This is the result of the efforts by those who strictly comply with Covid-19 prevention measures and the high ratio of people who have received Covid-19 vaccination," he said.
Currently, more than 134 million doses of Covid-19 vaccines have been administered, 81% of which were the first dose.
Among senior citizens, 84% have received a first dose, 80% a second shot and 42% a booster.
The government recently lowered its Covid-19 alert from Level 4 to Level 3, allowing daily activities to resume with fewer restrictions.
But night entertainment venues such as pubs, bars and karaoke parlours have not yet reopened.
To proceed to the next step, the ministry consulted with the DDC to seek measures to help such venues resume operations and try to find measures to encourage foreign tourists to wear face masks at all times.
"Right now controlling the disease is not a problem but controlling people's behaviour is. We still need to encourage people to put on face masks," he said.
Learn from listening
- comply (verb): to obey a rule, law, agreement, etc. or do what someone asks you to do - ปฏิบัติตาม (กฎหมาย, ข้อเสนอ, ข้อตกลง etc.)
- encourage: to cause someone to be more likely to happy - กระตุ้น
- endemic: regularly found in a particular place or among a particular group of people and difficult to get rid of - ประจำท้องถิ่น
- operation: a business activity - การดำเนินการทางธุรกิจ
- ratio (noun): the relationship between two numbers or amounts, one number over another number, proportion, fraction - อัตราส่วน, สัดส่วน, อัตราเปรียบเทียบ
- restriction: a rule, action or situation that limits or controls someone or something - การจำกัด, การควบคุม
- transition: the process of changing from one situation or state to another - การเปลี่ยนถ่าย การโอน