Smiles not hugs as classes restart
published : 18 May 2022 at 08:10
writer: R May
ORIGINAL SOURCE/WRITER: Supoj Wancharoen
On-site learning resumes for the first time in almost two years.
The beginning of a new school term has seen the happy reunion of students and teachers although a cautious one with health and safety measures put in place due to Covid-19.
"I'm very happy to meet my friends again. It's been more than a year of separation," said Natthawara Boontae, a sixth grader at Wat Ratchanatda School run by City Hall. "Still, hugging each other is a no-no," she said.
The pandemic confined students to their homes for online classes and limited their interactions with school friends to FaceTime and phone calls.
But online classes hurt the quality of education, Natthawara said. Internet connections were weak in places and some students had problems accessing Wi-Fi or were not adequately equipped to study remotely.
"We had to be highly disciplined to study online," she said.
Sureenipa Chanthai, another Wat Ratchanatda School sixth grader, said on Tuesday she and her school friends had a lot of catching up to do.
"If it wasn't for Covid, we would have jumped at each other and hugged," Sureenipa said.
Like other schools nationwide, Wat Ratchanatda prepared extensively for the new academic term.
It has installed sensor-operated body temperature scanners at the entrance, allocated an ATK test area and there is sanitiser gel available throughout the school.
Thanakorn Chaisit, a teacher there, said dividers have been placed at every table in the canteen and students have lunch at staggered hours.
In the classroom, tables are spaced apart for social distancing.
Wearing a mask is compulsory at all times in class although students can remove them when they are outdoors.
Students with a fever will be quarantined in special rooms and sent for further care as arranged by public health authorities.
- cautious: careful to avoid danger - ระมัดระวังไม่ให้เกิดขึ้น
- compulsory: if something is compulsory, you must do it because of a rule or law - ที่จำเป็นต้องทำ
- confine (verb): to keep somewhere and not allow to leave; detain - กักตัว
- discipline: the ability to control your actions - วินัย
- extensively: in considerable detail; thoroughly - อย่างกว้างขวาง
- fever: an abnormally high body temperature - ไข้
- remotely: from a distance -
- resume: to begin again after stopping for a period of time - ดำเนินต่อไปใหม่, กลับมาอีกครั้ง
- reunion: a situation in which people meet each other again after a period of time when they have been separated - การพบกันอีกครั้ง
- sensor: a device that can react to light, heat, pressure, etc. in order to make a machine, etc. do something or show something - อุปกรณ์ส่งสัญญาณที่ไวต่อแสงหรืออุณหภูมิ, ตัวเซ็นเซอร์
- separation: the condition of being kept apart or divided from other people, countries, etc. - การแบ่งแยก
- stagger (verb): to arrange for events that would normally happen at the same time to start or happen at different times -