Russell Crowe quizzes Bangkok governor candidates
Hollywood star Russell Crowe quizzed candidates for Bangkok's governor election campaign on TV on Thursday, almost a year after his tweets on visiting the capital delighted Thais.
Bangkok is preparing for its first governor poll in almost a decade on Sunday.
The Australian actor -- who shared his Bangkok adventures with his 2.7 million Twitter followers while filming the drama "The Greatest Beer Run Ever" -- joined Channel 7's daily news programme "The Discussion"via video call.
"Sa wat dee krap," Crowe said, before starting his questions for the candidates.
He asked their plans to tackle the flooding in Bangkok and make the city more "friendly to tourists".
He also asked how they would make "beautiful Bangkok even more beautiful?"
During his time in the city, Crowe photographed the overhead cables, which led to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha ordering local officials to fast-track efforts to put the wiring underground.
"What are your thoughts on visible power lines?" he also asked the candidates.
The Thai government said Crowe's social media posts on Thailand had helped generate publicity last year ahead of the border reopening in early November.
The 58-year-old Oscar winner posted about getting lost, making friends with a large monitor lizard, bike riding along the river, and admiring the city's "fascinating skyline".
- adventures (noun): unusual, exciting and possibly dangerous activities such as journeys or experiences, or the excitement produced by such activities - การผจญภัย
- border: the official line separating two areas, regions or countries - เขตแดน อาณาเขต
- cable: thick strong metal rope used on ships, for supporting bridges, etc. - สายเคเบิ้ล, เชือกหรือเหล็กเส้นขนาดใหญ่
- candidate: a person who is trying to be elected - ผู้สมัครรับเลือกตั้ง
- fascinating: extremely interesting - น่าหลงใหล, มีเสน่ห์
- fast-track (verb): to do something quickly, especially faster than would normally be done -
- flooding (noun): a large amount of water covering an area that is usually dry - น้ำท่วม
- monitor lizard: large reptiles with have long necks, powerful tails and claws, and well-developed limbs - เหี้ย
- publicity: attention in magazines, newspapers, or television - การเผยแพร่
- skyline: the shapes made by buildings or mountains with the sky behind them, when you see them from a distance - horizon
- tackle: to make an organised and determined attempt to deal with something - จัดการ, รับมือ
- visible: able to be seen - ที่มองเห็นได้
- wires (noun): metal in the form of thin threads - สายโลหะ