Flood warning for Chao Phraya basin
The Royal Irrigation Department (RID) on Sunday issued a flood warning for seven provinces in the Chao Phraya River basin as large volumes of water are flowing from the North.
Floods, the worst in 50 years, have already caused widespread damage in Chom Thong district of Chiang Mai which has been hit by heavy rain.
Some 237 households in seven provinces -- Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Tak, Lampang, Mae Hong Son and Kanchanaburi -- have been badly affected by flooding.
The Irrigation Office Region 12 sent a warning letter to seven governors in Chao Phraya basin provinces -- Chai Nat, Uthai Thani, Sing Buri, Ang Thong, Suphan Buri, Ayutthaya and Lop Buri -- to closely monitor the flood situation and inform people of possible flooding.
Floodwater flowing from the North could cause levels in the Chao Phraya River in Chai Nat and Ayutthaya to rise by 1.5-2 metres.
Irrigation Office Region 12 would control water levels and prevent harm to agricultural fields.
After experiencing flash floods over the past few days, Chom Thong district has seen water levels finally drop.
A northwestern monsoon has brought heavy rain and thunderstorms to the northern and upper northeastern regions as well as many other parts of the country.
- affected (verb): having received an effect or influence - ถูกผลกระทบ, มีผลต่อ
- basin: a large area of land whose surface water all flows into a particular river or lake - ลุ่มน้ำ
- damage (noun): physical harm caused to something which makes it less attractive, useful or valuable - ความเสียหาย
- flash floods (noun): floods that happen suddenly without warning - น้ำที่เกิดท่วมในที่ต่ำโดยฉับพลันทันทีและไหลลดลงอย่างรวดเร็ว
- governor: a person who is chosen to be in charge of the government of a state or province or a government agency - ผู้ว่าการรัฐ, ผู้ว่าราชการจังหวัด
- irrigation: the process of bringing water to land through a system of pipes, ditches, etc. in order to make crops grow - ระบบชลประทาน
- monsoon: the season of heavy rain during the summer in hot Asian countries - มรสุม
- prevent (verb): to stop somebody from doing something; to stop something from happening - ขัดขวาง, ป้องกัน, กัน, กีดขวาง
- widespread: happening or existing in many places, or affecting many people - อย่างแพร่หลาย