Fire guts city aircon bus
Passengers ran as a bus burst into flames on Ngam Wong Wan Road in Nonthaburi on Monday night.
The bus caught fire near Rangsit-Victory Monument in front of Pantip Plaza mall around 8.30pm.
It took firefighters about 30 minutes to bring the blaze under control. By then, the bus was gutted. Nine natural gas fuel tanks were on the roof of the bus.
One woman passenger was injured, receiving burns on her left arm.
The fire also damaged about 50 metres of adjacent electric and communication wires.
The bus driver said that as he approached the bus stop in front of the shopping mall he heard a loud bang coming from near the rear right wheel. He stopped and told passengers to leave the vehicle. He saw that a fire had started.
He used a fire extinguisher on the flames, but they spread quickly.
There were about 30 passengers on the bus at the time.
The bus was fuelled by compressed natural gas, sold as NGV.
- adjacent: very near, next to, or touching - ติดกัน
- blaze: a fire - เพลิง
- brake (n): a device for slowing or stopping a moving vehicle, typically by applying pressure to the wheels -
- burn (noun): an injury or a mark caused by fire, heat or acid - บาดแผลเนื่องจากการเผาไหม้
- failure: the fact of something not working or stopping working -
- firefighter: a person who puts out fires as their job - นักดับเพลิง
- gutted : burned completely from the inside out - ถูกไฟไหม้
- gut : to burn completely from the inside out - ไหม้หมด
- injured (adj): hurt in an accident, natural disaster, attack, etc. - ได้รับบาดเจ็บ
- natural gas: the gas used for cooking, power generation and car fuel in Thailand - แก๊ซธรรมชาติ
- wires (noun): metal in the form of thin threads - สายโลหะ