Baby cobras invade house
An army of baby cobras invaded a house at a village in Hat Yai district of Songkhla, forcing the family of five to move to a relative’s home.
Eraman Mama, 43, said the first baby snake was spotted emerging from a hole in the cement floor at his rented one-storey house on May 21.
Over the following days, more baby cobras just kept slithering out the hole.
These venomous snakes were found curled up in the children's school shoes, under pillows and blankets, piles of clothes and in a wardrobe. The whole family was gripped with fear, he said.
Mr Erawan lives in the house with his wife and their three children, aged 4, 6, and 7 years.
On Tuesday, the family finally sought refuge at a relative’s house in the same village.
They believed there were still more baby snakes in a nest under the floor of the house.
After the family moved out, Mr Eraman said, he sprayed pesticide in all corners of the house. Another seven baby snakes emerged from their nest on Tuesday. And that night, another one was found. That brought the total number of snakes to 14.
The owner of the house said he would renovate it, to ensure it did not become a regular cobra habitat.
- emerge: to appear - ปรากฏออกมา
- gripped: to have a powerful effect on somebody/something - ดึงดูดใจ, จับแน่น, ทำให้ตื่นเต้น
- habitat: the type of place that a particular animal usually lives in or a particular plant usually grows in - ถิ่นที่อยู่ของพืชหรือสัตว์
- invade: to enter a place in large numbers, usually when unwanted - บุกรุก
- nest (noun): the place in the trees where birds/insects prepare a place to live and raise young - รัง
- pesticide: a chemical used for killing insects, especially those that damage crops - ยาฆ่าแมลง
- refuge: a place where you go to protect yourself from something dangerous or threatening - ที่ลี้ภัย ที่หลบภัย
- renovate: to make something old look new again by repairing and improving it, especially a building - การตบแต่งหรือซ่อมปรับปรุงสถานที่
- slither: to move somewhere in a smooth, controlled way, often close to the ground -
- venomous: producing venom (the poisonous liquid that some snakes, spiders, etc. produce when they bite or sting you) - มีพิษ