New Pattaya mayor told to fix city's 'embarrassing' problems
A hotel business leader has identified five "embarrassing" problems the new Pattaya mayor needs to fix urgently so the city will be ready for next tourist season.
Phisut Sae-khu, president of the Thai Hotels Association’s eastern chapter, on Wednesday listed the five most important issues.
They were footpath improvements, the completion of unfinished roadworks, better beach landscaping, flood prevention works and the reopening of all entertainment venues.
These must all be addressed before tourists return to Pattaya for the annual high season, he said.
Poramase Ngampiches won the Pattaya election on Sunday, keeping the We Love Pattaya group in power after the former mayor, his mentor Sonthaya Kunplome, opted out of the competition.
Mr Sonthaya remains on as Mr Poramase's chief strategist.
Mr Phisut said the five issues needed to be fixed urgently if the city expects an influx of visitors during the high season. As things were, they were an embarrassment and damaging to Pattaya's image.
- address: to deal with a problem - จัดการปัญหา
- chapter: a local branch of a society, club, etc - สาขา
- embarrassing: making you feel ashamed, nervous or stupid - น่าอับอาย, น่าอับอายขายหน้า
- embarrassment: a feeling of being nervous or ashamed because of what people know or think about you - ความขวยเขิน, ความกระดากอาย
- influx: a large number of people or things coming in to a place - การหลั่งไหล การไหลบ่า (เข้าไปยังที่ใดที่หนึ่ง)
- landscaping (noun): the process of changing the appearance of an area of land, especially next to a building or road ทำให้ทิวทัศน์ดีขึ้น - การทำให้ทิวทัศน์ดีขึ้น
- mentor: an experienced person who helps someone who has less experience, especially in their job - ผู้ให้คำปรึกษา
- opt out: to decide not to take part in something or to stop taking part in it - เลือกออก
- prevention: preventing something bad from happening - การป้องกันภ้ย
- strategist (noun): a person who is skilled at planning things - ผู้เชี่ยวชาญด้านยุทธศาสตร์