Airlines to resume two China travel routes
Thailand is ready to welcome the return of Chinese tourists after Thai airlines were allowed to resume operating two flights between the countries each week for the first time since the start of the pandemic.
Deputy government spokeswoman Traisuree Taisaranakul on Sunday said the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) had granted permission to the carriers to fly.
"The easing of travel restrictions in China is a good sign and will hopefully help the tourism sector rebound and generate revenue from the return of Chinese tourists,'' she said.
According to the CAAC, initial flights will be restricted to business people and students, but it is believed that Beijing will gradually reopen more international flights for the general population, Ms Traisuree said.
The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) announced the carriers would take turns operating the flights, with the exception of those to Beijing and Shanghai.
Thai Airways International, Thai Smile Airways, Thai Lion Air and Thai Air Asia have all submitted requests to fly to Guangzhou, while Thai VietJet will fly to Kunming and Nok Air to Nanning.
Ms Traisuree also said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha was delighted by the CAAT's decision to resume flights to China.
He said the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will promote tourism with almost all stringent restrictions to entry for foreigners to be scrapped this Friday, she said.
Learn from listening
- carrier: a company that carries goods or passengers from one place to another, especially by air - บริษัทขนส่ง (โดยเฉพาะสายการบิน)
- permission: allowing someone to do something - การอนุญาต,การอนุมัติ,การยินยอม
- population: a particular group of people or animals living in a particular area - กลุ่มที่อาศัยอยู่ในที่เดียวกัน
- rebound (verb): to rise again after falling, recover - กระโดดขึ้นอีกครั้งหนึ่ง,สะท้อนกลับ,เด้งกลับ
- restricted: intended only for people who have been given special permission - ที่จำกัด
- resume: to begin again after stopping for a period of time - เริ่มอีกครั้ง, กลับมาอีกครั้ง
- scrapped: decided not to continue with something, such as a plan or event - ยุติแผนที่วางไว้
- stringent: (of a rule, law, etc.) very strict and that must be obeyed - เข้มงวด