Weed warning from Singapore, S Korea
Thai embassies in South Korea and Singapore have warned travellers from Thailand not to bring cannabis-based products or cannabis extracts with them. Otherwise, they may face a jail term or even the death penalty.
They are the latest in a growing list of Thai embassies warning Thais that cannabis is still illegal in most countries.
The Thai embassy in Seoul posted a notice on its Facebook page Tuesday, saying that Thai travellers must not carry cannabis, hemp or products containing these plants into South Korea.
The post also said that possession or use of the substances carries a jail term of up to five years, while smuggling cannabis or hemp is liable to a jail term from five years to life imprisonment.
In Singapore, the Royal Thai Embassy on Wednesday posted on its Facebook page that Thai travellers must not bring cannabis-based products or cannabis into the city-state. Possession and consumption of cannabis or hemp can lead to the death penalty, it warned.
At the border with neighbouring Cambodia, the Aranyaprathet immigration office in Sa Kaeo on Wednesday displayed signs warning travellers and truck drivers crossing into Cambodia not to bring cannabis or cannabis-based products into the country.
Thailand is the first country in Southeast Asia to decriminalise cannabis, removing the plant from its category 5 narcotics list on June 9.
Thai embassies in Japan and Jakarta have also issued warnings.
Learn from listening
- consumption: using, eating or drinking something - การบริโภค
- death penalty (noun): the punishment of putting someone to death for a crime; capital punishment - โทษประหารชีวิต
- decriminalise: make not criminal, so that people can do activity without breaking the law -
- embassy: a building where a group of officials work who represent their government in a foreign country - สถานทูต
- hemp (n): the cannabis plant, especially when grown for fibre -
- illegal: against the law - ผิดกฎหมาย, นอกกฎหมาย
- smuggle: to take drugs, money, people, etc. to or from a place secretly and often illegally - ลักลอบนำเข้า
- substance: a particular type of liquid, solid, or gas - สาร