Thai volleyball team make world finals
The Thai women's volleyball team made history for local sport by battling their way into the final-eight of the world finals to be held in Turkey.
Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Monday congratulated the team for reaching the FIVB Volleyball Women's Nations League finals to be held in Ankara, Turkey, later this month.
Thailand lost to Italy 3-0 on Sunday night in the last match of the preliminary round in Sofia, Bulgaria, and needed USA to triumph over Germany in a match starting hours later in Calgary, Canada, to get a spot in the finals. USA beat Germany 3-1.
Only seven teams in the first round and hosts Turkey advance to the finals. Thailand occupy the last spot with 15 points from five wins and seven losses.
Thailand will meet Turkey in their first quarterfinal, either on July 13 or 14.
The team will return to Bangkok on Tuesday to prepare for the match.
Learn from listening
- congratulate: to praise someone about their success, good luck or happiness on a special occasion - แสดงความยินดี
- host: a country, city, group, person, etc. which provides the space and other things necessary for a special event - เจ้าภาพ
- occupy: to use a place for period of time - ครอง
- preliminary: coming before the main or most important part of something - เบื้องต้น, ขั้นต้น, ขั้นแรก
- quarterfinal (or quarter-final): a competition between two of the last eight competitors remaining in a tournament - การแข่งขันก่อนรอบบรองชนะเลิศ
- triumph (verb): to win a great victory or success - ชัยชนะ