Man in underpants arrested for stealing Banana phones
A male burglar who wore only underpants while stealing mobile phones from Banana IT stores late at night, and gave many away to homeless people, was put through a crime scene re-enactment on Wednesday - but police made sure he was fully clothed.
Police took Jeh-isma-ae Hama, 23, to a Banana IT shop in Nakhon Nayok for the re-enactment.
Security camera recordings showed him wearing only underpants when he allegedly stole 128 items, mostly mobile phones, worth about 1.9 million baht from the shop after breaking in about 3am on Sunday.
Police arrested him the following day in Bangkok.
The suspect allegedly told police he stole only from Banana IT shops because he liked bananas and the colour yellow, and he wore only underpants because dressing that way made him feel confident.
Police found 31 mobile phones at the room where Mr Jeh-isma-ae was arrested and 58 more phones in another room he rented.
Police alleged the suspect stole from a Banana IT shop in the southern border province of Yala on Jan 27, 2021, and from another Banana IT outlet in Sai Mai district, Bangkok, on Jan 9 this year.
The thief always disconnected security camera systems at the shops and always wore only underpants.
The suspect also allegedly stole from Banana outlets in Songkhla, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Phatthalung and Nakhon Si Thammarat provinces in the South, and in Nong Bua Lam Phu and Ubon Ratchathani provinces in the Northeast.
Mr Jeh-isma-ae allegedly told police that he handed out some of the phones and money to homeless people at Hua Lamphong railway station and Sanam Luang ground in Bangkok, and also to people in his home province of Narathiwat, in "Robin Hood-style" because he had also been homeless in the past.
Learn from listening
- allegedly: claimed to have done something wrong, but not yet proven - ที่กล่าวหา
- confident: being certain of your abilities or of having trust in people, plans, or the future - มั่นใจ
- disconnect: to separate something from something - ตัดขาดจากกัน, แยกออกจากกัน, แบ่งออก
- homeless (adj): having no home - ไร้ที่อยู่
- re-enactment (of a crime): repeating the actions of a past event, in this case, of a crime - แผนประกอบคำรับสารภาพ
- suspect: a person who is thought to have committed a crime - ผู้ต้องสงสัย
- underpants (noun): a piece of underwear worn by men or women under trousers/pants, a skirt, etc. - กางเกงใน, กางเกงชั้นใน