Navy asks women not to wear bikinis on its beaches
The navy does not ban women wearing bikinis on its beaches but asks visitors for their cooperation in not doing so, its spokesman said on Friday.
The navy asks that visitors not wear bikinis on its beaches for the sake of "order and in accordance with Thai culture and tradition".
The spokesman was responding to a July 27 Facebook post on the "Quotidien de Thailande" account of a photo showing a "No Bikini" sign on Koh Samae San, off Chon Buri province. The island is navy territory.
He said such signs were aimed only at persuading tourists not to wear bikinis. The navy did not ban bikinis.
The signs were being removed and would be replaced with new ones to create a better understanding of the navy's intention to encourage a conservative form of tourism, the spokesman said.
Koh Samae San is a tourist attraction but it is under the jurisdiction of the navy. The number of visitors was limited and they were not allowed to stay overnight, drink alcohol or gather in noisy groups.
- ban: officially not allowed to do something - การห้ามอย่างเป็นทางการ
- conservative: opposed to great or sudden social change; showing that you prefer traditional styles and values - ที่เป็นอนุรักษ์นิยม
- in accordance with: following a rule or system; also in line with and consistent with - สอดคล้องกับ
- jurisdiction: the authority that an official organisation has to make legal decisions about somebody/something - เขตอำนาจตามกฎหมาย
- navy (n): the part of a country's armed forces that is trained to operate at sea -
- persuade: to make someone agree to do something by giving them reasons why they should - โน้มน้าวใจ เกลี้ยกล่อม
- territory: an area of land controlled by a particular country, leader or army - อาณาบริเวณ อาณาเขตประเทศ
- tradition: a very old custom, belief, or story - ประเพณี, ขนบธรรมเนียม