More bridge danger on Rama II Road
More lanes were closed on Rama II Road on Wednesday, to allow the removal of loose-hanging concrete slabs from a flyover.
Highways police closed part of the highway on Wednesday morning after motorists spotted five concrete slabs hanging from a flyover.
Local highway officials said there were marks showing a tall vehicle had hit the flyover. The damaged pieces were removed for public safety and the road reopened.
Also on Rama II Road, Bangkok-bound express lanes reopened to traffic on Wednesday morning after the Highways Department removed four remaining beams on the U-turn bridge above the 34th kilometre marker.
The lanes had been closed since Sunday night when an outer beam fell from the bridge, killing two people and injuring two others. The official investigation is expected to take two weeks.
Learn from listening
- beam: a long thick piece of metal, concrete, wood, etc. especially used to support weight in a building or other structure - คานรับน้ำหนัก
- concrete: a hard substance used in building made by mixing cement, sand, small stones, and water - คอนกรีต
- flyover: a bridge that carries one road over another one - สะพานลอยที่ให้รถวิ่ง
- motorist (noun): a person driving a car or other motor vehicle - คนขับรถยนต์, ผู้ขับรถ
- slab: a large flat piece of something or a large flat surface - แผ่นหนา