Two killed, 5 wounded in gang shootout
Two people were killed and five others wounded in a gunfight between two gangs in Ubon Ratchathani late on Wednesday night.
The gangs clashed in the car park of Nikorn Thani market, near a Big C superstore.
Emergency responders sent to the scene found seven young men, aged about 20-25 years, with bullet wounds. They were rushed to three nearby hospitals. Two of them who were shot in the head and body were pronounced dead at a hospital, Thai media reported.
At least 70 spent cartridges were found in the parking area. Five vehicles were damaged.
Witnesses told police they heard a noisy quarrel between two groups of young men. The quarrel quickly escalated to violence with many gunshots fired. The gunfire continued for several minutes.
Seven people were hit by bullets. Five ended up lying in pools of blood in the car park, and the two others were found at a nearby food shop, police said.
A preliminary investigation found that membrs of two gangs were involved – the Kham Yai gang and the Hat Wat Tai gang. They met to settle a personal dispute.
Learn from listening
- cartridge: a small metal tube containing a bullet and an explosive substance that is fired from a gun - ปลอกกระสุนปืน
- clash: to fight - ปะทะ
- dispute: a serious disagreement - ข้อโต้แย้ง
- escalate: to become much more serious or much worse - ทำให้เพิ่มขึ้น, ทำให้มากขึ้น
- gang (noun): a group of criminals who work together; a group of young people who spend time together causing trouble - แก๊ง, กลุ่มโจร
- pronounced dead: officially confirmed to have died -
- quarrel: an argument or strong disagreement - การทะเลาะเบาะแว้ง
- responder: something or someone that responds to your request and provides service to you when you have a problem, such as an ambulance or fire fighters -
- witness: a person who sees something happen - ผู้ที่เห็นเหตุการณ์
- wound: an injury in which your skin or flesh is damaged - บาดแผล