Heavy rain in 43 provinces
More heavy rain was forecast to continue in 43 provinces, covering all regions, on Tuesday, with flood warnings.
The Meteorological Department said the active monsoon trough lies across the North and upper Northeast of Thailand and into a tropical depression over the upper South China Sea.
Meanwhile, a rather strong southwest monsoon prevails across the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand.
With these conditons, heavy rain was expected to continue in parts of the North, the Northeast, the Central Plains, the East and the South on Tuesday. The weather office warned of possible flash floods and water courses overflowing.
Affected areas are 11 provinces in the North, 18 provinces in the Northeast, five in the Central Plains and seven in the East.
Waves up to 2-3 metres high were expected in the upper Andaman Sea and, more than 3 metres high during thundershowers. Waves of about 2 metres were likely in the upper Gulf of Thailand, and more than 2 metres high during thundershowers. All boats should proceed with caution and small boats should stay ashore, the department said.
Learn from listening
- ashore: on land; towards, onto or on land, having come from an area of water such as the sea or a river - บนบก, เทียบฝั่ง, เกยฝั่ง
- caution: careful thought and lack of hurry in order to try to avoid risks or danger - ความระมัดระวัง
- depression: an area where the air pressure is low, often causing heavy rain - พายุดีเปรสชัน
- flash floods (noun): floods that happen suddenly without warning - น้ำที่เกิดท่วมในที่ต่ำโดยฉับพลันทันทีและไหลลดลงอย่างรวดเร็ว
- Meteorological Department: the government department in charge of determining what the weather will be in the future - กรมอุตุนิยมวิทยา
- monsoon: the season of heavy rain during the summer in hot Asian countries - มรสุม
- prevail: to be the strongest influence or element in a situation - เป็นจริง, มีอำนาจเหนือกว่า
- trough: a long narrow region of low air pressure between two regions of higher pressure -