Rain drenched sheet smashes into car on Rama II Rd
A car was heavily damaged on Rama II Road in Bang Khun Thian district late Thursday night when a canvas filled with rainwater fell from an elevated road structure.
Thichakorn Phothalay, 33, said the water-filled sheet hit her car while she was driving on an outbound expressway lane on Rama II Road.
The heavy sheet crushed the roof and windscreen of her car. The sheet was previously hanging from an incomplete structure of the elevated road and likely fell under the weight of rainwater trapped inside, she said.
The owner of the vehicle posted dash cam footage of the incident to social media, explaining he had lent his girlfriend the car so she could drive back from her studies.
There were many similar sheets heavy with rainwater along the route, and his girlfriend was fortunate to have not been hurt, the owner said.
Following the incident, Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob ordered the Highways Department to arrange for compensation.
The Transport Ministry previously ordered the Highways Department suspend all construction along Rama II Road to review safety after a bridge collapse killed two people on July 31.
Learn from listening
- collapse: a situation in which something fails or stops existing - การพังทลาย
- compensation: money that someone receives because something bad has happened to them - เงินชดเชย
- elevated: raised above the ground, or higher than the surrounding area - ซึ่งอยู่ในระดับที่สูงกว่าสิ่งอื่น
- fortunate: lucky - โชคดี, เคราะห์ดี
- impact (noun): the force with which one object hits another - แรงกระแทก
- roof (noun): the structure that covers or forms the top of a building or vehicle - หลังคา
- structure: something large such as a building or a bridge that is built from different parts - โครงสร้าง
- suspend: to stop for a period of time - ยกเลิกชั่วคราว, ระงับชั่วคราว
- thump: to hit somebody/something hard, oftening resulting in a loud noise - ทุบหรือตีให้เกิดเสียงดัง