Tourist arrested over TikTok fishing video
A Dutchman has been arrested in Phuket on a charge of illegally catching parrotfish in Krabi province, after his TikTok video drew outrage from local residents.
National park officials detained Roslan Bendenia in Phuket on Monday afternoon and took him in for questioning.
The TikTok video showed the man with two endangered parrotfish and three other fish and stabbing a sea eel. It was shown on the TikTok account @roslanofficial.
Mr Bendenia, 22, allegedly told police he had rented a boat to go from Koh Phi Phi Don to Koh Phi Phi Leh in Hat Noppharat Thara-Mu Koh Phi Phi National Park. He rented a speargun from a local operator on Koh Phi Phi Don and went fishing at Koh Phi Phi Leh around 1pm on Aug 9.
He said he was not aware the area was inside the national park.
Police were preparing their case against the man and said they would also take legal action against the boat owner and the person who provided the speargun.
During questioning, Mr Bendenia admitted he had caught parrotfish but was unaware that doing so was illegal, police said. He had apologised for his actions on his TikTok account.
Learn from listening
- admitted (verb): agreed that something is true, especially when you are unhappy, sorry or surprised about it - ยอมรับ
- apologise: to say you are sorry for doing something wrong or for causing a problem - ขอโทษ
- aware (adj): knowing that something exists, or to have knowledge or experience of a particular thing - ทราบ, รับรู้
- detained: kept in a place and not allowed to leave - กักตัว ควบคุมตัวหรือฝากขัง
- endangered: at risk or in danger of being harmed, damaged or destroyed - เป็นอันตราย
- questioning: when the police asks a person questions in the investigation of a crime -
- rent: to pay money for the use of something for a period of time - เช่า
- speargun (n): a gun which shoots spears (= long, pointed pieces of metal) and is used underwater -
- stabbed: when someone is killed or hurt by a knife or other sharp object being pushed into their body - แทงด้วยอาวุธ