Nightlife venues want longer opening hours
Khao San Road could see night entertainment venues open until 4am after the government held talks with local businesses.
Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said his ministry discussed the matter with the Khao San Road Business Association on Wednesday, with more public hearings with nearby communities needed before night entertainment hours are extended from 2am to 4am.
The ministry is preparing to submit the proposal to the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration either this month or in September.
Mr Phiphat said Khao San Road has been selected as the only destination in Bangkok to potentially have the extended opening hours, while each tourism province would also have one or a few potential areas.
Besides Khao San Road, there are potential areas in Patong (Phuket), Khao Lak (Phangnga) and Ao Nang (Krabi), while Chiang Mai and Pattaya are still selecting their possible options.
Tourism operators in Samui would like the whole island to be allowed to open until 4am.
He said his ministry hoped the new opening hours would become effective from October for the upcoming high season.
Learn from listening
- discuss (verb): to talk about something with somebody, especially in order to decide something - สนทนา, โต้ตอบ
- effective: officially begun to be used ; to take effect - มีผล
- matter: a situation or subject which is being dealt with or considered - เรื่อง, ภารกิจ, งาน
- potential: possible - ความเป็นไปได้
- potentially: possible in the future - ที่อาจเกิดขึ้นได้
- submit: to formally give something to someone so that can make a decision about it - ยื่น (เอกสาร) เพื่อการพิจารณา
- whole (adjective): all of something - ทั้งหมด