Ban on e-cigarettes to remain
The government is still against vaping, saying e-cigarettes are affecting the health of vapers.
Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul stressed the need to continue banning e-cigarette imports to protect youths from vaping health risks.
A survey conducted by the National Statistical Office of Thailand last year found more than half of the about 80,000 e-cigarette smokers in Thailand were people aged 15 to 24.
"This clearly showed vaping has created new smokers, especially young people, while a growing number of international studies found smoking e-cigarettes has negative effects on young people's brains," said Mr Anutin.
He said Thailand has found there currently is no other option more effective in controlling vaping than banning the import of e-cigarettes.
Crackdowns on e-cigarettes smuggled into the country will also continue to limit access to the products on the black market, he said.
Asst Prof Dr Vijj Kasemsap of the Tobacco Control Research and Knowledge Management Centre, said vaping is associated with various diseases, namely respiratory, heart and blood vessel, oral and dental, brain, liver and skin diseases.
Learn from listening
- banned: officially not allowed to do something - ถูกห้ามอย่างเป็นทางการ
- black market (noun): an illegal form of trade in which foreign money, or goods that are difficult to obtain, are bought and sold - ตลาดมืด
- brain: the organ inside the head that controls movement, thought, memory and feeling - สมอง
- import: to buy or bring in products from another country - นำเข้า
- liver: a large organ in the body that cleans the blood and produces bile - ตับ
- respiratory: involving breathing - เกี่ยวกับการหายใจ
- smuggle: to take things or people to or from a place secretly and often illegally - ลักลอบนำเข้า/ออก
- vape (v): to inhale and exhale vapour containing nicotine and flavoring produced by a device designed for this purpose -
- vape (n): a device used for inhaling vapour containing nicotine and flavoring -
- youth: young people considered as a group - เยาวชน, คนวัยหนุ่มสาว